Fresh Air Ventilation
Today’s better-insulated homes are built as airtight as possible to maximize energy savings. The downside to this efficiency is that your home can potentially trap moisture and pollutants, leading to structural damage and serious indoor air quality (IAQ) problems. Indoor air is typically far more polluted than outdoor air.
For older homes, if you’ve upgraded your windows or insulation to improve the energy efficiency, again the same issue arises. Your home has become more airtight to keep the heat in but stale, moist air and chemical pollutants are trapped inside as well for you to breathe and re-breathe.
The solution is to use Heat & Energy Recovery Ventilators (HRV’s and ERV’s). They bring in fresh air from outside to dilute pollutants and replace the stale air inside your home. Additionally, in the winter they warm the air through a unique energy-saving heat transfer process. ERV’s have the added benefit of a moisture transfer. This helps maintain minimum moisture levels in the winter and prevents excessive humidity infiltration in summer. In fact, this heat/energy transfer process made these systems eligible for a $375 ecoENERGY rebate. Metro Air Limited is a Certified vanEE Specialist. We know air inside and out.
Clean Air Filtration
It is important to keep your home’s environment hypo-allergenic. To accomplish this, Metro Air Limited recommends installing one of many possible air quality improvement components. Whole-Home HEPA and Lennox media-based cleaning systems can reduce the presence of dust, bacteria, viruses, smoke, cooking grease, and other unwanted airborne particles in your home.
As well as removing these unwanted particles from your airways, they help prevent the contamination of your homes ventilation ducts. Clean ducts and coils can allow your heating and cooling system to operate more efficiently, lowering your utility bills.
How a Whole Home HEPA air cleaner system works:
- The air in your home (prior to filtration) is full of airborne contaminants like viruses and bacteria. About 85% are at a microscopic 0.3 microns.
- The largest particles are removed easily by the washable or carbon pre-filter
- Smaller particles that manage to pass through the pre-filter are captured in a High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filter. 99.97% efficient @.3 microns & 95% @.1 microns.
- There is a third stage inner Carbon VOC blanket or optional VOC cartridge which has the ability to remove via absorption impurities from the air.
- Super clean air is channeled back into your air duct system then recirculated throughout your home.
Today we spend most of our time indoors. Problems with extreme winter dryness exist in most homes in Canada if they are not equipped with humidifiers.
Other problems that can be caused by incorrect humidity levels include:
- Mould thrives in high humidity environments
- Dust mites also thrive in humidity levels of above 50%
- Dry your mucous membranes, leading to nosebleeds and sinus infections
- Low humidity can aggravate the symptoms of asthma, and allow viruses to flourish
- Homes with valuable hardwood furniture and flooring require proper moisture levels
A whole-home humidifier can add the necessary moisture to indoor air passing through the filtering element and maintain level humidity within your home. Your family will benefit from a healthy home air environment and since you feel more comfortable at lower temperatures, you can turn down your thermostat for energy savings.